Sunday, May 31, 2009

Punch/Thread Lace

I recently acquired a Singer 500 electronic knitting machine. The reason I "needed" to have it was so I could knit punch/thread lace. Of all the amazing machines I own and use, none of them were able to perform this particular form of knitting, so of course, I had to have it. Talk about any excuse to buy another old machine. The irony is that if I had a few thousand dollars I could buy a newer SilverReed electronic machine that would have the ability to do all the things I want from my knitting, but until then, I have my collection of machines that individually do what I want. When I want DBJ and tubular knitting like socks, I use the doublebed, transfer lace from a Brother card is accomplished on my Toyota KS901, All In One transfer lace cards for the S/S/S/K machines are knit on my Toyota KS950 etc. I know, it sounds like a lot of hassle, but really, it keeps me interested in my knitting machines and designing different fabrics :)


My first test to see if this older Singer machine was knitting properly and that the electronics were ok was a huge success, there are a couple of miss patterned stitches, but that's a-ok, I've been advised that it's a sticky latch on the needle issue and I have lots of extra needles that came with it to replace them.


My next step was to design my pattern and color in the squares on the card. After I got my design transfered I decided to test it in fair isle. I love it! So, next came the punchlace test swatch.


After this mess, a good friend pointed out that my design didn't allow for any actual lacy spots. It was a great DBJ design, but "where's the lace part?" Back to the drawing board and a new and improved, punchlace design. Of course, all my self teaching is surrounded by lots of drama and this was no exception. I had spent so much time finding the right ink for my White 1602 mylars, I made the assumption that the Singer would use the same thing. Come to find out, the Singer scanners read reflections from soft lead, not light blocking ink. Oops! Wasted a very expensive blank card, but learned alot, and after figuring out what I had marked incorrectly on the card, another online knitting buddy helped me figure that little mistake out, I have SUCCESS!!


I still need to change out the bad needles, see the columns of stockinette? Those are the bad boys. I also need to fine tune my design, there are some places on the card that I need to shorten the number of unknit cotton thread stitches and change where some of the solid squares are, but all in all I consider this a huge success for my prototype. I'm going to space my roses out a little differently too, so there is a better balance on the panel, but this is where it stands right now. I also need to thank another knitting list pal for the gift she sent to me of the clear nylon thread so I could try this technique.

Since I'm moving soon, I had to give it up and pack up my knitting machines so I could concentrate on packing and organizing for the move. A list group friend gave me a really good laugh by ssaying she figured I would have at least one machine set up in the back of the moving van so I could knit during the long drive LOL!! Does she have me pegged or what!! Unfortunately, I have to drive my car with my kitty cats in it so it will be hand knitting at stop lights, traffic jams and waiting in drive thru food lines :)

11 Comments:

At 8:36 AM , Blogger Monique said...

Very pretty!

 
At 4:22 PM , Blogger Sheryl Evans said...

Hi! Have you abanded this blog??

 
At 8:39 PM , Blogger aldi said...

Hi,
I really like your blog-albeit coming to it a bit late- + could do with your help with my Singer/Superba 2310 Memomatic Pattern Scanner Box. I found your 'Cursor Release' video really informative, I hoped you-might have advice on getting a reluctant, uncooperative Pattern Selection Box to do what it's supposed to do.
Am asking my Question here as your original post was written so long ago my plea could sit unread back in 2007 - hopefully I've not broken blogging 'comment/posting' etiquette by doing so.
It's the scanner,or the cursor maybe, but something stops me from getting little light to move to the far left side of the box as it should do. I have faithfully followed the directions on the Superba site given in your links, but to no avail. To be honest I sometimes wonder if I really am seeing the lights mentioned at all, as there seems to be a white square permanantly on the left needle 1 position. I so want to use the freehand patterning, but a year later I've yet to use the scanner for even a simple tuck pattern.
I'll be permanantly endebted to you if you are able to help, tell me what is wrong + how to fix it, or what is needed to fix it
Thank you. Lizzie (UK)

 
At 11:34 PM , Blogger zibby said...

you are right thread lace is beautiful. I have been knitting thread lace cotton dish towels, make nice gifts, but does anyone have a thread lace rooster pattern. Don't know is I could make one or not.

 
At 5:00 PM , Blogger JoW said...

Hi, Clarisse,
You mentioned in this blog the pens for the Superba mylar sheets. Someone on the Yahoo Superba/White group had a question about what kind of ink or pens to use. What were you able to find out about this and what kind of pen/ink should one buy and where. I have a pen with my machine, but would be glad to know this info if I should need another one.

 
At 8:54 PM , Blogger LlamaLinda said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:54 PM , Blogger LlamaLinda said...

I too recently acquired a Singer/Studio 500. Unfortunately I don't have any mylars or instruction manual. Any ideas of where I could go to find them?

 
At 7:13 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

You posted about your Studio 500 in 2009 and I'm wondering if you still have it? I'm in the process of buying one now, from a list member in another city so I've only seen photos of it. I'm excited to learn more about it, I have a manual, bulky machine now.

 
At 8:51 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hello. Ask the regulations singer 500

 
At 3:13 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I was wondering if you would be willing to scan the manual for the Studio 500 and email it to me? I will be happy to pay. Any idea where to get pattern cards for it?

 
At 11:54 PM , Blogger jared said...

Hi! I absolutely love the first lace swatch you did (white squares) and would love to purchase a swatch or the punchcard from you. It's so beautiful!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home