Wednesday, April 16, 2008

12 st Patterns on 24 st Punchcard Blanks

This question is popping up quite a bit lately so I thought I'd go ahead and share this on the blog. Click on the picture for a larger, legible version of the punchcard. When using a 24 stitch blank card for a bulky 12 stitch punchcard pattern, you skip the column between punched columns. This will work on the 12 stitch punchcard BULKY machines. The older Toyota 12 stitch 4.5mm standard gauge punchcard machines like the KS858, require punchcards made specifically for them. The spacing for the punches is different and the 12 stitch cards made for them are not interchangeable with 12 stitch cards for the bulky machines. If you are having trouble with 12 stitch blanks, hold a card up to a 24 stitch card and see if the holes line up. If they are off, then you have the wrong blanks for your machine, the right cards will line up with every other punch space on the 24 stitch card.

I will have both types of machines and figuring out which card will work with which machine could get tricky so I am only buying 4.5mm gauge 12 stitch blanks for my KS858 and will be using the 24 stitch blanks for my 12 stitch bulky. This should help me keep them straight :)

Easier still would be if I just had all 24 stitch punchcard machines, or better yet, electronic patterning machines in both pitches, but then, what would be the challenge with that LOL!!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 4:25 AM , Blogger BuBBle GuM KniTs! said...

Nice tip. Please email me.
BGK

 
At 10:06 AM , Blogger Amoonsinger said...

Thanks, just what I needed to know.

MaryJeanne

 
At 12:44 PM , Blogger Johanna said...

I have the same machine. ks 858. Its a nice machine.

 
At 12:11 PM , Blogger Upplagd said...

Wow, that as very interesting news for me. I hvae just baught a Siler Reed SK 155 9 mm between the needles and I have some difficulties making punchcard patterns. I also have a SK 280 (standard gauge) and using 24 sts punchcard. Have heard that a 12 sts punchcard is avalable but I have difficulties to find it. So you mean that I could use the 24 sts to fit my chunky 12 sts machine? Please email me: larztorpet@gmail.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home